Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mmmm...Pizza

Definitely on my top three list of foods is delicious pizza. And one thing that makes pizza better is a great glass of wine.
Well Saturday night, I had both. Some wonderful friends took Mr. Sweet and me to Coal Vines in Southlake. I have been wanting to try this place for quite some time. I was not disappointed.
The first thing I noticed was the atmosphere, which is very laid back. It was a lovely evening, and the entire dining area was open to the night air. So even sitting inside, I felt as if I were outside. The lighting is very low with lots of candlelight.
Initially, I ordered a glass of Riesling. While not typically a white wine fan, I do enjoy the lightness of a Riesling from time to time. This particular one (Dr. Loosen) was crisp and fresh.
We ordered two pizzas, but my favorite was the White Special.
Usually I want marinara sauce on my pizzas, and don't be stingy with it. However, there was not a spoonful to be found on this pie. I found that I was better able to appreciate the flavors of the cheeses, which were enhanced by sliced tomatoes and oregano. The tomatoes were slightly lacking in the flavor department, but I realize the season for fresh tomatoes is just beginning.
Overall a very enjoyable evening. I recommend trying the place out, if you are ever in need of a pizza fix.

No comments: